Applications of open geographical data:
- Walkscore: http://walkscore.com
- Travel time maps: http://www.mysociety.org/2007/more-trav
- hbus.ca: Coming soon! e-mail me if you want to alpha test and a get a sneak peek of my transit planner for the HRM.
Why open geodata is important:
- Google maps terms of service: http://code.google.com/apis/maps/te
- HRM's regressive geodata dissemination policy: http://www.halifax.ca/giss/DataDissemin
- Best place to start is with the potlatch documentation: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Potl
Questions? Comments? I'd love to hear from you. Feel more than free to email me at email@example.com.